- Roads,Transport and Public Works
- County Executive Committee Member Roads, Transport and Public Works, Mr. Mohammed Abdullahi
- Chief Officer- Engineer Michael Ngari – 0700468381:
- This sector deals with roads construction and maintenance, Engineering Survey, Highways, Electrical, Structural Engineering and Architectural services.
- Achievements to date
1. Training and deployment of traffic marshals to manage traffic in Nairobi
2. Rehabilitation, paving, lighting of Country bus station,
3. Rehabilitation of Central bus station,
4. Rehabilitation of Muthurwa bus terminus,
5. Rehabilitation of Ngara Bus terminus, Westlands bus terminus, Kariokor bus terminus, Blue hut bus terminus, Park road parking lot, Limuru road/Jamhuri high school parking lot,
6. Construction of transit system has begun with dualing of Ngong Rd, Outering road
7. Non Motorized transport policy developed and under implementation, to incorporate pedestrian/cyclist paths and lighting in every road project
8. Registration regulation and management of matatu saccos
Roads, Street and Community Lighting
1. City Hall has so far used Sh2.7 billion since 2013 to repair and maintain roads, build bridges, install street lights and improve drainage system.
2. Six (6) new 10km roads have been completed viz, Mathare 4A Road in Ruaraka, Kapiti estate access road in South B and Njiwa Road in Makongeni. Others are Vanga Road in Kilimani, Nzohe Road in Karen and South C shopping centre road.
3. Work on 50km of roads in several parts of the city is going on; Catholic Awendo Road in Dandora, Upendo Road in Mathare, Kahuho and Muthura roads in Dagoretti. Others are Lumumba Road in Roysambu, Chalbi Drive in Kasarani and access road to Haco industries in Kasarani.
Part of Mwiki Rd in Kasarani sub county under construction by the Nairobi City County Government
4. Another six roads are being done through partnership with the Kenya Urban Roads Authority and other government agencies. These include dualling of Outering and Ngong roads, Ring Road Parklands to Thika Road via Deep Sea, Muratina Road, Likoni, Lusaka and Muhuri roads.
5. Some 1,200km of new roads in Nairobi’s upcoming residential areas of Kasarani, Embakasi, Dagoretti and Lang'ata have been gravelled or graded.
6. The county has installed 25,000 street and community lights in the past three years. Considering we had 30,000 before, it means we have doubled the number.
A section of Haile Salessie Avenue from City Square Footbridge at night
7. More than 6,000 high mast community lights have been installed in informal settlements, improving security by 50 per cent.
8. Two thousand (2,000) km of drainage have been worked since the inception of the county government.
9. Six bridges of Gituamba-Dandora, Bahati-Eastleigh, Mathare 4A Utalii, Clay City-Githurai, Njiru Mwengenye, Mwiki-Kasarani, Kiuu River and Kamiti Road-Njathaini River have been built and commissioned for use in the last three years alone, easing human traffic mobility and reducinnts